Tower South East wall
Floor Plan
Edward Saunders d 1800

To see what the numbers 1-10 of each memorial description are click here

  1. On the angled wall above the turret stair doorway and on an oval grey ground supported by a rectangular stone bracket is a rectangular white inscription tablet with text incised in black-filled roman caps and l/c, some sloped, using the long ess. A triangular pediment has on the tympanum a roundel formed by a snake biting its own tail. There is nothing visible on the face of the roundel. The entablature has a cavetto cornice above a deep dentil frieze and a stepped architrave. Below a shallow ovolo shelf the apron is carved to resemble a draped fringed cloth. There is much staining of the tablet with green lichen. A sculptor’s signature is not visable though Gunnis claims that there is one.

  2. Marble, stone

  3. Post 1800

  4. h. 130 x w. 80 x d. 8cm

  5. Robert Atkins (ref a)

  6. Robert Atkins (ref a)

  7. Little Court, still marked on current maps, lies to the SW of the churhc by the River Rib and was described by Cussans (writing c1870) as comprising about thirty acres on both sides of the river. It was sold to Edward Saunders in 1792 and sold on after his death in 1813. During the first quarter of the 18th century it was owned by Thomas Crouch of Layston and his wife Ann until sold by their son Charles in 1726. (ref b) The original 16th century house was demolished c 1820 (ref c)

  8. -

  9. Sacred to the Memory of / EDWARD SAUNDERS Esqr. / late of LITTLE COURT in this Parish / who died Jany: the 4th 1800. Aged 55 Years. / Shortly after his return from INDIA where he Resided Upwards of Thirty Years / with Unimpeach’d Integrity / Earth’s highest Station ends in: here he lies / And dust to dust concludes her noblest Song. /

  10. a) Gunnis p 21 b) Cussans pp 82,83 c) VCH p 80